Movie based on former cricketer Azharuddin is “effort to set things right”A movie based on life events of cricket icon Mohammad Azharuddin will be out next week. Bollywood actor Emran Hashmi will perform the role of the former cricketer.
The movie revolves around Azharuddin’s life in Hyderabad and his journey through international cricket.
During an interview to TheHindu.com he said, "It's not a bio-pic. It's a gist of events that took place in my life. Some good, some heart-breaking. Not everything you read in the public domain is accurate. This is an effort to set some things right. It shows my contribution to the game. It tells you about some dark days of my life. It confirms the vindication of my stand that I was innocent. It has parts of my story, not in full, but enough to give an indication of my stand."
The former cricketer said he wasn’t keen on the idea initially but the producer hounded him for 18 months, and then he finally said yes.
One of the most successful captains of the Indian cricket team winning 90 ODIs in the 90s, Azharuddin was slammed with a life ban by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) after he was implicated in a match-fixing scandal in 2000.
"People said so many things but I tackled it my way. There were things not in my control. I had to be patient. I also can't recover those 12 hard years of my life (post 2000). The movie brings this aspect out very well. It details my cricket life and my personal life; my good and bad times and how I overcame that period,” he said.
In 2012 the Andhra Pradesh High Court dismissed the ban imposed upon him. However, the ICC refused to evoke the ban.
There are songs in the movies, and dance numbers, even though the cricketer says “he never sang in real life”.
Speaking about the years he stayed out of cricket he said,“I don't blame anyone for whatever happened to me. It was my destiny.”
Talking about Emraan Hashmi he said, "He's worked hard. I spent a lot of time and he was so receptive. I was his coach on how to play some of my shots. He looks like me. See it for yourself."
Actress Nargis Fakhri plays the role of Sangeeta Bijlani, Ms India winner in 1980 and his former wife.
While on the pitch Azharuddin was known for a graceful and fluid batting style. In 2009 he joined the Indian National Congress.

Post a Comment

[Widget_title][combine][recent][8]

 
Top